I found this delicious recipe for Creole Sausage with Red Beans and Rice from Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour and made it to the tee. Next time, I was ready to make my changes! There are only a couple because the original recipe was amazing, but I had to make it more colorful and tone down the Rotel kick (just a bit)! There's a printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- 1 (14 oz) Package of Turkey Sausage
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 (10 oz) Can of Rotel
- 1 (14.5 oz) Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 3 1/2 Cups of Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups of Brown Rice
- 1 Can of Dark Red Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 Can of Light Red Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
- 8 Stocks of Green Onion (chopped)
- 1 Package of Tri-Color Sweet Peppers (chopped)
- 2 tsp of Creole Seasoning (low sodium Tony's is the best!)
- Slice up the sausage.
|Action shot courtesy of my hubby|
- Cook up the sausage in a skillet with the garlic and olive oil over medium heat until browned.
- Start cooking your rice in the chicken broth. I used my rice cooker, but you could cook it over stove top or use an instant rice mix. I recommend using whole grain brown rice because it has far more to offer in terms of nutrients then white rice!
- Add the Rotel & diced tomatoes to the skillet and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Chop up your peppers & green onion while this is simmering.
|Look at those beautiful peppers!|
- Add the beans, green onion and peppers to the skillet, then gently stir. See what I mean by colorful!
- Add the cooked rice, then the Creole seasoning and mix carefully so that your beans maintain their shape.
|Messy hair thrown up into a clip after work!|
Click on the picture below to print the Recipe Card. It will lead you to a Google Documents page in which you can click the printer icon.